My girl is a serious chocolate addict…but who isn’t, right? At 5-years-old she can tell the difference between milk chocolate and dark and devours dark if given the choice. She’s a smart girl but of course, I’m biased. Not only is she the smartest girl in the universe but she’s a toothpick and eats every hour. I would say this is unfair but it’s a condition of being a micro-premie, so I really shouldn’t say I’m jealous but I kind of am.
Keeping her fed on a minute by minute schedule is pretty fun because she loves to be in the kitchen with me and you know how much I’m in the kitchen. One of her favorite snacks are no-bake granola bars because she can do most of the work herself. It’s incredibly simple and requires little effort. I try to keep it as whole grain and low sugar as possible because even when you’re having a little chocolate you can still pack in some nutrition — or at least that’s what I like to tell myself when I want to eat mountains of the dark sweet addictive goodness!
To start, simply through your dry ingredients into a large bowl…
Then melt butter and sugar together to create a gooey sticky mess…
Combine wet and dry together and watch the chocolate melt creating chocolatey heaven I like to call granola crack and then pour into a pan to set.
Slice into bars and have deliciously sweet no-bake granola bars packed with whole grains and flax seed (you know…to relieve the chocolate guilt) in just minutes.
Chocolatey sweet with surprising bites of tart cherries, these no-bake granola bars are the perfect afternoon indulgence!
- 1 1/2 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- Prepare an 8" x 8" square baking pan by lining it with parchment paper. Make sure the parchment paper is large enough to hang over the sides of the pan. Lightly spray the paper with cooking oil spray. Set aside until needed.
- In a large bowl, mix to combine brown rice cereal, oats, flax seeds, chocolate chips, and cherries.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter, sugar, and honey together; stir. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract; stir to combine.
- Pour the butter/sugar mixture into the dry ingredients and gently fold together with a spatula until combined. Pour into the prepared baking pan and press the granola into the pan with greased hands or a spatula until the mixture is even. Allow to set for 5 minutes. Remove the granola from the pan by lifting the parchment paper. With a large knife, slice into squares. Serve immediately or allow to set for an additional 10 minutes to become firm. Store in an air-tight container.